Completing a placement in a Queensland Government state school provides an opportunity to engage with a supportive and diverse school community and experience living and teaching in a rural or remote location.
Recipients of the grant could be eligible for up to two grants valued between $3000-$5000 to assist with travel and living expenses for placements and/or internships undertaken during 13 July – 11 December 2020.
An estimate of the grant incentive available is noted in the Fact Sheet (below under ‘documents’).
Eligibility for the grant
To be eligible for a grant, candidates must:
* be currently enrolled in their second, third or fourth year of an undergraduate initial teacher education (ITE) program or their first or second year of a postgraduate ITE program at an Australian higher education institution;
* be planning to undertake a placement and/or internship on a Queensland Government state school campus that is located:
(a) at least 90 minutes travel each way from their primary residence while at university; and (b) within a priority community within one of our Central Queensland, Darling Downs-South West, Far North and North Queensland regions; and
* provide evidence of a current Queensland Working with Children Check Blue Card (which must be current during the full duration of the placement and/or internship).
Placements and/or internships undertaken within a priority region in a state school with a transfer rating of 3-7 will receive priority.
How to apply
Read the Fact Sheet (below under ‘documents’) noting the terms and conditions, log into the SmartJobs account (green ‘apply now’ below), and complete an online application including:
* an online questionnaire
* upload all of the following documentation*
* Most recent unofficial academic transcript
* Confirmation of enrolment for semester 2, 2020 (if not shown on the unofficial transcript)
* Current Queensland Working with Children Check Blue Card
* Proof of placement and/or internship
*Further information is provided in the Supporting Documentation Checklist document (below under ‘documents’).
Applications will be processed in the order they are received and the date of the placement/ internship.
It is recommended that applications for the grant be submitted six weeks prior to departure for each placement and/ or internship. Submission of an application later than six weeks (or submission of an incomplete application) could result in a delayed and/or retrospective payment.
Payment of the grant
Payments for the placement/internship will occur four weeks (where possible) prior to departure providing the requested signed documentation to initiate the payment has been provided.