Role Responsibility and Accountabilities
The GAP Kennel Attendant reports to the GAP Operations Manager.
This position provides consistent quality care, handling and husbandry to GAP resident dogs at all times. To use correct, positive handling approaches and maintain the safety, health and welfare of dogs in the residence. The GAP Kennel Attendant will work collaboratively with GAP employees and key stakeholders to enhance GAP’s functionality as an animal welfare entity and to raise its visibility in the community. As the Kennels operate on a shift system, shift work will be necessary.
* Deliver and administrate GAP kennel program requirements for the GAP colony including but not limited to;
- Employ best practice dog handling skills to ensure consistency of handling and care.
- Manage standards of hygiene and order within the GAP kennels area and extended property.
- Assist with the roll out and continuance of environment enrichment of the GAP colony.
- Oversee the boarding and social development of adolescent pups using the GAP kennel facility.
- Ensure all health cases are appropriately managed under the supervision of the GAP Canine Health Officer.
- Ensure the physical needs of dogs are met in relation to accommodation, feeding and health.
- Maintain health, medical and behavioural records.
- Adopt a positive and dog focused approach in order to meet the dog’s needs.
* Work with the GAP Officers and GAP Operations Manager to develop and implement strategies to improve the GAP’s operations and visibility.
* Communicate extensively with the GAP team, adopting a group consultative and problem solving approach to identify work priorities and establish best work practice.
* Perform rostered GAP Kennel shifts as required.
* Perform other duties as directed by the GAP Operations Manager.
* Demonstrate workforce practices that build a constructive culture with a focus on integrity, performance, capability building, personal accountability and nurturing of leadership potential.
* Ensure all non-compliance issues are reported promptly in accordance with QRIC requirements.
* Contribute to the safety culture of QRIC by reporting all incidents and hazards and ensuring work is undertaken in the safest way possible, following all WHS legislation, policies/procedures and guidelines relevant to the job.
* Demonstrate ethical behaviour and integrity as required under the Public Sector Ethics Act 1994.
Applications may remain current for 12 months and may be considered for recurring vacancies. These may be at an alternative location or for an alternative employment basis (full-time or part-time).
***APPLICANTS ARE REQUESTED TO APPLY ONLINE – scroll down and click the ‘APPLY ONLINE’ button***
Please note any documents attached to Smart Jobs should be in Microsoft Word or PDF format. Please do not upload zipped files.