This role will provide you with an opportunity to broaden your legal and governance experience base by working collaboratively and inclusively across the whole NIISQ Agency team. You will be able to utilise your technical, professional and outcome-focused approach by being an integral contributor to the ongoing maturity of a relatively new statutory body.
The National Injury Insurance Agency, Queensland (the NIISQ Agency) was established as a statutory body to administer the National Injury Insurance Scheme, Queensland (the Scheme), including the development and implementation of supporting processes, policies and guidelines.
The Scheme commenced on 1 July 2016 and provides eligible people who sustain a serious personal injury in a motor vehicle accident in Queensland with necessary and reasonable treatment, care and support needs, irrespective of fault, in some cases for their lifetime. The Scheme is focused on participants and their specific needs, empowering participants to achieve their goals, including maximising health and social outcomes.
This role includes key responsibilities to:
– Work collaboratively with the General Counsel, Chief Executive Officer (CEO), Executive Leadership Team (ELT) and other team members of the Agency to deliver operational outcomes in accordance with the Agency’s strategic and operational plans.
– Provide sound legal advice and analysis, including in relation to new and untested points of law.
– Draft clear, concise, high quality documents, including letters, agreements, file notes and reports.
– Support the General Counsel to advise the CEO, ELT, other Agency team members, and the Board and its Committees on all aspects of the law relevant to the legislative framework, business and strategy of the Agency, including guidance on legislative review and its commitment to participant care and safeguarding.
– Provide collaborative support and guidance to other Agency team members in relation to matters of:
– statutory interpretation
– sound administrative decision making
– compliance, good governance
– sound operational policy and procedure, and
– resolution of disputes (including external and external statutory reviews).
– From time to time, appear for the Agency in statutory applications in the Queensland Supreme Court and at external statutory reviews in the Queensland Civil and Administrative Tribunal.
– Engage collaboratively with government and other stakeholders (including insurers, personal injury lawyers, industry associations and advocacy bodies) to deliver sound governance of, and legislatively compliant outcomes for, the Agency.
– Instruct and supervise external law firms to ensure the Agency receives high quality, cost effective legal services.
– Contribute to the maintenance and development of the Agency’s collaborative participant-centred culture, and demonstrate alignment with the Agency’s vision, mission and values.
The role description will outline any qualifications, licences and specific requirements of the role. If you are interested in this job we encourage you to read the attached role description and talk to the contact officer.
***APPLICANTS ARE REQUESTED TO APPLY ONLINE – scroll down and click the ‘APPLY ONLINE’ button***
Please note any documents attached to Smart Jobs should be in Microsoft Word or PDF format. Please do not upload zipped files.