Mako has been a part of the evolution of options market making from open outcry in the trading pits of London, Amsterdam and North America through to screen based trading and the more recent drive towards automation, latency sensitive execution and algorithmic strategies. Our success on this journey has been underpinned by our expertise in managing risk, our entrepreneurial culture and our collaborative approach to solving complex problems.
About the team
Mako’s proprietary derivatives trading system runs on Linux and written in C++ and our highly skilled in-house team carries out all development, maintenance and support of our platform. Developers who join this team will have a major role in connectivity software development for Asia-Pacific markets and actively contributing to a truly global development team. This role also allows a great deal of exposure to the whole systems deployed and will work closely with both the front office IT team (Infrastructure/SRE) and the traders across the business.
About the role
- Be an early member of a new and growing Sydney software development team in the Sydney office
- Depending on your seniority, room for
- Advocating your software design direction with demonstrable results for senior developers
- Career progression with well-thought training program and mentoring/frequent-feedback for junior developers
- Develop and maintain high performance and low latency market data processing and order entering market connectivity software for major markets in the Asia-Pacific regions
- Develop new protocols and components in core market connectivity frameworks which will be used globally in Mako’s US and Europe trading
- Work as part of an experienced, successful and highly motivated team alongside experienced traders and developers with short development cycles and quick feedback
- Apply your analytical and creative skillset, working to solve complex problems in a timely fashion.
- Maintain, monitor, profile and tune Mako’s market connectivity software to obtain optimal performance while staying robust and stable
- Develop an understanding of trading principles and options theory across a variety of asset classes
We need highly motivated software developers to support a sophisticated trading system in fully automated, electronic, and floor traded environments.
- First and foremost a highly motivated, enthusiastic personality with a passion for software and technology and its application to trading. Also ability to work in a team-oriented environment
- Demonstrable C++ programming experience is essential. Python and other similar scripting language experience is desirable
- Experience in UNIX/Linux and shell scripting
- Ability to write well-structured and easily-readable code with appropriate unit tests and understand the importance of testing
- Appreciate the need and able to conduct data-driven analysis using tools similar to SQL/Jupyter Notebook/numpy/pandas
- Excellent communication skills both written and spoken, with the ability to create technical documentation
- Experience working in all or some of these:
- many-to-many distributed systems,
- client-server or publish-subscribe architecture
- event-driven architecture
- multi-threaded environment
- Point-to-point inter process communications (IPC)
- Network programming knowledge (TCP/UDP) and using various tools to diagnose problems such as pcap libraries, tcpdump and Wireshark
- An object-oriented software design methodology
Working Environment and Company Culture
- Working in the Sydney office at King St Wharf with harbour waterfront view, short minute walk to the re-developed modern Barangaroo business precinct
- A BBQ stove on the balcony for monthly BBQ breakfast!
- A single codebase across the whole company and your contribution can make a mark in Mako’s global trading
- Be part of a global development team which is working across multiple timezones around the clock and keen to provide help and advice on Slack and Zoom
- Work in a friendly environment with easy-going colleagues contributing to a common goal of betterment of Mako’s trading
- Mako encourages personal growth. If you have the drive to forage your path, Mako will provide a range of support to help you achieving your goals. See Our Culture page on the Mako website for more information
- Ability to travel to other offices for work collaboration and relationship building
- The Mako Foundation is established to give back to the society by donating to various charities. You can have a volunteering day every year to help a local charity.