My client in the Medical industry requires a highly experienced Personal Assistant to join their busy and fast paced practice based in Stepney. They are an industry leading healthcare provider for over 25 years with a private orthopedic hospital and specialist clinics across a number of locations, offering patients access to modern and innovative healthcare in state-of-the art facilities. They are proudly South Australian owned and operated.
About the role
Under the broad direction of the Orthopaedic Practice Manager / Supervisor, this position is primarily responsible for providing comprehensive medical administrative and patient services to ensure the effective and efficient management of an orthopaedic surgeons practice. The Personal Assistant works largely unsupervised. It is therefore critical that the incumbent is able to work effectively under pressure, make decisions independently using initiative and judgement, meet short deadlines and change priorities accordingly, be self motivated and well organised. This role is a key contact and information source for patients and their families, other departments, medical practitioners and other service providers.
Key responsibilities of the role:
Management of the surgeon’s practice:
• Book surgical procedures, including organising anaesthetist, surgical assistant, bloods, scans and any other task directly related to the patient’s procedure;
• Prepare accurate quotes for surgical procedures;
• Prepare consultation lists and theatre lists in accordance with policies and procedures;
• Typing of medical correspondence, including operation notes, consultation letters, medical reports and general correspondence;
• Account enquires, processing, end of month accounts with a high attention to detail;
• Financial management of payments and expenses;
• Manage surgeon’s travel including bookings, transfers and accommodation as required;
• Manage surgeon’s personal schedule as required.
• Respond to patient enquiries in a prompt and professional manner;
• Present patients with all relevant and accurate information related to their planned / confirmed surgery;
• Liaise with internal and external practitioners, divisions, clinics, hospitals, government agencies, health funds, insurance groups and other groups.
Compliance and procedures:
• Ensure the surgeon’s practice meets all regulatory guidelines, including privacy and confidentiality;
• Monitor own systems and procedures, identify areas for improving efficiency and make recommendations for streamlining where practical;
• Adhere to established polices and procedures relevant to patient information and care;
• Comply with policies, procedures, work practices and Code of Conduct as may be amended from time to time;
• Provide reception and phone cover if and as required;
• Manage the Research Fellow and / or the AOA Trainee’s schedule as required;
• Other duties as may be requested by the Orthopaedic Practice Manager / Supervisor;
• Other tasks allocated to the position that may change from time to time.
Personal and professional requirements:
• Demonstrate a commitment to the industry by maintaining knowledge of medical terminology and advancements in medical technology;
• Participate in mandatory training and other development programs;
• Able to accept and act on feedback in a mature and professional manner;
• Evaluate own performance and take responsibility for professional growth within the business
• Able to respond to short deadlines and unexpected workloads. In this regard a flexible approach to working hours is essential, as is flexibility when planning leave;
• The ideal candidate will be required to maintain up to date and accurate knowledge of the medical industry to enable them to confidently quote/book surgical procedures, organise medical staff for theatre lists, arrange prostheses as required, and clearly articulate parts of the anatomy.
Skills and Competencies required:
• In-depth knowledge in key areas relevant to the role (medical terminology, privacy, health funds);
• Microsoft Word, Excel at intermediate level;
• Well-developed skills in creating and formatting written documentation with no grammatical errors;
• Audio typing with a minimum typing speed of 65wpm with 98% accuracy;
• Ability to work effectively under pressure and manage unexpected events;
• Ability to remain focussed and productive in a busy, open-plan working environment;
• Ability to build rapport with patients quickly and show a genuine concern for their well-being
• Verbal communications are clear, concise and appropriate for the selected audience.
Please email for more information. Please only apply if you possess the relevant skills and experience required for this role. Due to the high volume of responses, applicants are encouraged to apply online. Only successful applicants will be contacted for interview immediately.
At Randstad, we are passionate about providing equal employment opportunities and embracing diversity to the benefit of all. We actively encourage applications from any background.
This role requires previous strong experience in the same or similar role within the Medical industry and you will have a high attention to detail with excellent scheduling and prioritising skills
Secondary School/High School