An exciting opportunity exists for a dedicated and knowledgeable candidate to join the Science team at our school! We offer a warm, welcoming environment for the successful candidate where they can bring their skills and abilities
and provide excellent support to fellow staff and students at the school. Candidates are asked to please ensure they meet the mandatory requirement for this role before applying for the position.
- Job Type: Temporary
- Position Type: Full-time
- Location: Brisbane – North
- Yearly Salary: $59822 – $80511
- Contact Name: Sandy Cook
- Contact Number:
- Closing Date: 14-FEB-21
Image Courtesy of Kedron State High School
About Kedron State High School
Kedron State High School symbolises and exemplifies excellence in education each and every day. Kedron offers a unique, safe and enriching learning environment for all of our students where they are constantly surrounded by possibility and opportunity.
As the Science Technician, you will have responsibility for but not limited to the following:
- Prepare, distribute and set up samples/demonstrations, class sets of equipment and associated scientific materials for practical teaching laboratory use.
- Prepare chemical solutions of known concentration from bulk supplies including concentrated acids, stains and media and manufacture simple glassware/general equipment for preparation-laboratory and teaching-laboratory use.
- Work independently in a science laboratory, recognising, anticipating and safely managing chemical hazards.
- Maintain scientific teaching resources, classrooms, storerooms, preparation rooms and laboratories in a clean, safe, orderly and secure manner.
- Maintain a safe chemical/laboratory waste storage/handling/preparation/disposal system in accordance with departmental guidelines, including labelling, secure storage, calibration and control of equipment and apparatus and Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs).
- Collect off campus scientific materials, science resources and field samples and collect and care for flora and fauna within the science department, in accordance with current handling and prevention of cruelty regulations.
- Maintain a system for recording allocation and usage of materials and equipment, establishing a priority system where necessary.
- Organise and prioritise daily variation of tasks to flexibly support student learning outcomes.
- Operate laboratory equipment/apparatus and perform routine operator maintenance/instrument calibrations as required, in compliance with the manufacturer specifications.
A mandatory requirement of this role is:
- TO2 appointees must have at a minimum, possession of a diploma qualification relevant to the tasks outlined, from a recognised tertiary institution or qualification which, in the opinion of the Director-General, Department of Education or delegate is acceptable.
When working in regulated employment an employee must have a current Working with Children Clearance (blue card) issued by Blue Card Services.
This is a TO2 progression position as per the Role Description. The successful applicant will be appointed to the TO2 classification with eligibility for progression to the TO3 (QLD Public Service Officers and Other Employees Award – State 2015) once specific criteria have been met or demonstrated. Salary rate shown is reflective of TO2 to TO3 classification range.
To apply please attach the following:
- A brief resume including contact details for 2 referees (one of whom should be your current supervisor)
- A maximum 2 page written response outlining your suitability for the role referring to the key capabilities under the ‘How you will be assessed‘ section in the attached role description.
Applications remain current for 12 months from the closing date and may be considered for appointment to identical or similar vacancies within the Department.
Applications from recruitment agencies will not be accepted.