We are seeking a competent and enthusiastic Scientist for Haematology who will have a high level of clinical interpretative skills to be a resource within the department in this area. As such, your experience will take a lead role in one or more of the areas within the department, including staff training, staff education, documentation of process within the department, quality monitoring and improvement or advanced instrumentation trouble shooting. To be successful you will be able to perform and validate complex and varied haematology, coagulation, and/or flowcytometry investigations consistently and accurately, by maintaining competence in the scientific aspects of the laboratory units.
- Job Type: Permanent
- Position Type: Full-time
- Location: Townsville region
- Yearly Salary: $109505 – $117835
- Contact Name: Claudia Murray
- Contact Number:
- Closing Date: 11-FEB-21
What are we looking for?
You will be assessed on your ability to demonstrate the following key capabilities, knowledge and experience. Within the context of the responsibilities described above under ‘your key responsibilities’, the ideal applicant will be someone who can demonstrate the following:
- Demonstrated high level of knowledge and skill in the performance of haematology, coagulation, and/or flowcytometry investigations in a clinical pathology laboratory.
- Significant experience and knowledge in one or more of the following areas – training, education, quality or troubleshooting in a haematology discipline.
- Demonstrated clinical leadership ability and contribution to the professional development of others.
- Proven ability to solve complex problems in the workplace.
- High level communication skills and ability to maintain professional relationships in the workplace.
- Ability to lead process improvement and client liaison activities.
- Understanding of laboratory quality systems and the requirements of NATA accreditation and ISO certification.
- Awareness of the human resource management policies applicable to contemporary workplaces.
Mandatory qualifications, professional registrations or other requirements
- The successful applicant must hold a relevant degree in Medical Laboratory Science (or equivalent) from a recognised university or tertiary institution.
- Appointment to this position requires proof of qualification and/or registration with the appropriate registration authority, including any necessary endorsements, to be provided to the employing service prior to the commencement of service. Overseas applicants are reminded that assessment of equivalence of qualifications is required.
- The Pathology Queensland – Townsville Laboratory delivers a 24-hour, 7-day service. In this workplace, all newly appointed staff are contracted to work any rostered shift within the 24-hour 7-day roster period, including overtime as required. This facilitates the progressive review of staffing and shift arrangements in the laboratory to accommodate changes in workload and service requirements.
Whilst it is anticipated that this position will initially involve mainly day shifts, the successful applicant may in future be expected to participate in the laboratory’s shift and/or continuous shift roster, and may work a combination of day, afternoon, evening and overnight shifts within each fortnight if required.