Business Unit: Structural Engineer
Reports to: NT Regional Manager
Liaises with: Engineers
Review date: September 2018
The position of Senior Structural Engineer exists to undertake and manage structural engineering consulting tasks from the definition of client requirements, task planning, monitoring and control of scope. The Senior Structural Engineer will support the Structural Business Unit Director in providing leadership and direction to the BU with a focus on client service, efficiency ad productivity.
1. Technical Expertise and
Quality of Work
• Accountability and responsibility for the delivery of design
outcomes for projects.
• Maintain a knowledge and understanding of trends in structural
• Provide leadership and technical direction for work undertaken by
• Undertake engineering tasks to ensure a high level of accuracy and
efficiency according to the company standards of operation.
• Adhere to company guidelines for task management to ensure
works are undertaken and services delivered to the highest possible
• Ensure all aspects of the quality management system are followed.
• Monitor project efficiency by reviewing performance against budget
and implement actions to ensure targets are met.
• Ensure cost effective solutions are achieved by providing technical
input into and review of outputs.
• Provide training to structural resources including drafters and
• Work as a cohesive member of the structural engineering team to
• Distribute work across the structural business unit (all locations) to
ensure effective use of resources.
• Manage utilisation by maintaining a focus on chargeable work at a
personal and business unit level.
• Set an example to employers by supporting a sound workplace
culture and adhering to the guidelines outlined in company policies
• Adopt a proactive approach and assist the Business Unit Director in
the leadership of the Structural Business Unit, including identifying
areas of improvement, opportunities for new business and
achievement of the Strategic Plan.
• Maintain control of debtors for tasks undertaken.
• Assist Business Unit Director with reporting and workload forecasts.
• Assist the Business Unit Director in developing a culture of
responsibility and accountability across the Structural Business Unit.
3. Internal Relationships • Promote effective communication across the business unit, including handovers during periods of absence.
• Liaise closely with members of the Structural Engineering Business
• Attend meetings and actively participate in decision making as a
senior member of the business unit.
• Communicate in an effective and professional manner, both verbal
4. Client Relationships
• Build and maintain close relationships with clients, in association
with the Structural Business Unit Director.
• Attend meetings and provide professional advice as required.
• Provide excellence in customer service to ensure client expectations
• Demonstrate a genuine interest towards outcomes and a
commitment to ensuring customer objectives are balanced with
acceptable technical standards and commercial outcomes.
5. Continuous Improvement • Attend conferences and events as required.
• Participate in training to assist with professional development
• Identify training needs of the civil business unit.
6. Business Development • Maintain a profile in the industry by participation at relevant events and involvement on committees that will assist with business
growth and exposure.
• Identify opportunities and liaise with the Structural Business Unit
• Forge relationships with new contacts to increase business and
• Project a positive and professional company image.
• Operate within the Northern Australia market as a whole.
7. General • Adhere to Workplace Health & Safety Policy to ensure a safe
environment for all employees by following the guidelines set out in
the Employee Handbook.
• Protect the interests of FCG in order to limit the Company’s
exposure to public liability and professional indemnity/insurance
QUALIFICATIONS & EXPERIENCE:
• Bachelor of Engineering (Civil)
• A minimum of 10 years experience in structural engineering design including at least 5 years experience in structural engineering design in the Northern Territory.
• Proven experience in business development and client management
• Post tensioning experience preferred.
• Management experience at a senior level within a multi-disciplined organisation, including training and mentoring.
• Commitment to and genuine interest in the provision of excellence in client service.
• Strong project management capabilities including staff and resource management.
• Working knowledge of relevant legislation and regulations Australian Standards and local industry practice.
• Organisational and time management skills with the ability to work to timeframes and meet fee budgets.
• Competent in the use of Microsoft Office suite and other relevant software.
• A professional approach towards communication and personal presentation
• Effective verbal and written communication skills
• Understanding of quality management systems employed in an engineering practice