General enquiries 13 2281 Canberra Connect
Specialist 1-5 – Adult General Psychiatrist (
Please note there are two advertisements running concurrently on Req ID 01ORD and Req ID 01RE. Please ensure you apply for the appropriate classification to meet your qualifications and experience.
Position Number: 41805, several
Annual Salary: Indicative total package value of between: $272,410 – $331,380 inclusive of salary, applicable allowances and 10.5% super.
Group Attraction and Retention Incentive: $50,000 – $70,000
Please note: The ARIn will be reviewed every 12 months where the ARIn may be terminated or adjusted under the terms of the ARIn policy. To continue payment the ARIn must continue to meet the eligibility criteria as outlined in the ARIn framework. The maximum combined salary and ARIn amount for this position is $408,730
Branch: Mental Health Justice Health Alcohol & Drug Services
Section: Office Chief Psychiatrist
Vacancy Type: Permanent Full time
Contact Officer: Karen Grace, Executive Director Mental Health Justice Health Alcohol & Drug Services (02) 5124 7950
Canberra Health Services
Our Vision: Creating exceptional health care together.
Our Role: To be a health service that is trusted by our community.
Our Values: Reliable, Progressive, Respectful and Kind
Canberra Health Services (CHS) is focussed on the delivery of high quality, effective, person centred care. It provides acute, sub-acute, primary and community‐based health services, to the Australian Capital Territory (ACT)—a catchment of approximately 400, 000 people. It also services the surrounding Southern New South Wales region which includes the Bega Valley, Bombala, Cooma-Monaro, Eurobodalla, Goulburn, Mulwaree, Palerang, Queanbeyan, Snowy River, Upper Lachlan Shire and the Yass Valley.
CHS administers a range publicly funded health facilities, programs and services including but not limited to:
• The Canberra Hospital: a modern 600-bed tertiary hospital providing trauma services and most major medical and surgical sub-specialty services.
• University of Canberra Hospital Specialist Centre for Rehabilitation, Recovery and Research: a dedicated and purpose-built rehabilitation facility, with 140 inpatient beds, 75-day places and additional outpatient services.
• Three Walk-in Centres: which provide free treatment for minor illness and injury.
• Six community health centres: providing a range of general and specialist health services to people of all ages.
• A range of community based health services including early childhood services, youth and women’s health, dental health, mental health and alcohol and drug services.
Strong research links are maintained with the ANU, University of Canberra and the Australian Catholic University. All specialties are represented with the exception of organ transplantation. The hospital has well developed post graduate teaching programs. A fully equipped medical library is available on site with a large collection of hard copy and on line journals and textbooks.
The preferred candidate maybe considered for a conjoint position in ANU at an academic level commensurate with the candidate’s qualifications and experience. The academic position will be held for the duration of the Canberra Health Services employment and will be subject to regular performance reviews. No remuneration is attached to the University position. The employee will be responsible to the University on academic matters and clinical/ research matters to Canberra Health Services.
For more information in relation to conjoint positions with the ANU please contact Professor Imogen Mitchell, Dean, ANU Medical School (02) 6125 2622 [email protected]
About our great city, Canberra, Australia’s National Capital:
Canberra is a city with outstanding amenities and excellent housing, educational and leisure opportunities. It is home to national icons and monuments as well as natural treasures. The coast and ski fields are nearby; Sydney is only three hours away by road. For more information on our great city and your future, visit: http://www.canberrayourfuture.com.au/
Overview of the work area and position:
The Mental Health, Justice Health and Alcohol & Drug Services (MHJHADS) Division of Canberra Health Services provides health services directly and through partnerships with community organisations. The services provided range from prevention and treatment to recovery and maintenance and harm minimisation. Consumer and carer participation is encouraged in all aspects of service planning and delivery. The Division works in partnership with consumers, carers and a range of government and non-government service providers to ensure the best possible outcomes for clients.
The Division delivers services at several locations, including hospital inpatient and outpatient settings, community health centres, detention centres and other community settings including people’s homes.
Mental Health, Justice Health and Alcohol & Drug Services include the following programs:
• Adult Acute Mental Health Services
• Adult Community Mental Health Services
• Rehabilitation and Specialty Mental Health Services
• Forensic Mental Health Services
• Alcohol and Drug Services
• Child and Adolescent Mental Health Services
• Justice Health Services
The position holder is expected to operate within the Public Sector Management Act (1994), the ACT Public Service Code of Conduct and the professional requirements specified by the appointee’s Specialist College.
MHJHADS aims to be socially inclusive and operate within a recovery-focussed and/or harm minimisation approach.
The position will be accountable and responsible to the Clinical Director of the relevant program area through an Individual Learning and Development Plan.
The successful applicant will have specialist experience in General Psychiatry or Subspecialty areas of Psychiatry, and skills relevant to both inpatient and community services, including the provision of ECT services. The successful applicant will also be expected to participate in the mandatory administrative, governance and training requirements of medical officers within the Division. Emphasis on recovery focus and person-centred care are essential.
Qualifications and experience:
• Registered or eligible for registration as a medical practitioner with the Australian Health Practitioner’s Regulation Agency (AHPRA).
• Fellowship of the Royal Australian and New Zealand College of Psychiatrists (RANZCP) or equivalent specialist qualifications.
• Evidence of satisfactory participation on the RANZCP Continuing Professional Development Program.
• Knowledge of the Mental Health Act 2015 and other related legislation.
• Current driver’s licence.
Please note prior to commencement successful candidates will be required to:
• Be granted with their Scope of Clinical Practice through the Medical Dental Appointments Advisory Committee (MDAAC).
• Undergo a pre-employment Police check.
• Obtain a Compliance Certificate from OMU (Occupational Medicine Unit) relating to assessment, screening & vaccination processes against specified infectious diseases.
Salary, Remuneration and Conditions:
Staff Specialist Bands 1-5: $164,470 – $202,960
Starting salary will be negotiated within this band for the successful candidate, depending on their experience and expertise.
Reimbursement of relocation costs may be available if you are the successful candidate.
Medical Staff in the Canberra Health Services enjoy excellent conditions, and our Enterprise Agreement is available at https://www.health.act.gov.au/careers/applying-work-us/enterprise-agreements
1. Provide direct psychiatric services in a variety of settings including the provision of ECT services.
2. Teach and supervise psychiatry trainees and Medical students.
3. Contribute to the clinical oversight of multi-disciplinary teams and in particular:
– Provide expert opinion and consultation on clinical work;
– Participate in the develop, implementation and ongoing review of the recovery plans for persons using the service.
4. Liaise and collaborate with medical practitioner, consumers, carers, voluntary and government and non-government agencies concerned with patients care.
5. Participation in administration and clinical governance activities and the after-hours roster as required.
6. Undertaking other duties as directed, within the approved scope of clinical practice ensuring the delivery of high-quality person and family centred, safe and high-quality patient care.
These are the key criteria for how you will be assessed in conjunction with your resume and experience.
Your statement of claims against the selection criteria should summarise how your skills and experiences would enable you to fulfil the responsibilities of the position. It is therefore in the interests of candidates to present their application in a way that demonstrates significant outcomes associated with each of the criteria, as well as the capabilities and behaviours that underpin them.
1. Proven in provision of specialist mental health care across inpatient, community and other applicable setting with a demonstrably strong commitment to working with consumers, carers, key community stakeholders and General Practitioners. Including highly developed communication and interpersonal skills.
2. Demonstrated commitment to the maintenance and further development of skills applicable to the area of specialisation, including involvement in further education and quality assurance activities.
3. Demonstrated capacity to work as part of a multidisciplinary team, whilst providing leadership in clinical care, systems and MDT management and participating in the mandatory requirements of medical officers within the Division.
4. Demonstrated commitment to the provision of teaching at all levels, including medical, nursing, scientific and allied health professional staff, both postgraduate and undergraduates.
5. Demonstrates a commitment to work, health and safety (WH&S) and the positive patient experience and displays behaviour consistent with Canberra Health Service’s values of Reliable, Progressive, Respectful and Kind.
How to Apply
To complete your application, you must prepare responses to the Selection Criteria and upload this as part of your application.