Position Title: Technical Officer
Employment Type: Permanent – Full-Time
Hours per week: 38
Position Grade: Technical Officer grade 1/2
Salary: $57,391.21 to $84,132.2
Enterprise Agreement: The Named NSW (Non-Declared) Affiliated Health Organisations’ Health Employees Agreement 2019
Department Name: SydPath – Anatomical Pathology – Histology & Cytology
A vacancy exists in the above unit for a highly motivated Technical Officer with appropriate knowledge and skills to join our friendly and supportive team. The anatomical pathology department is a busy unit within SydPath at St Vincent’s Hospital. The department is seeking to fill a position working in the Histology and Cytology laboratories.
Duties will include embedding, microtomy, frozen section, staining, accessioning, immunohistiochemistry, special stains, cytology specimen preparation, stock maintenance and housekeeping.
The vacancy is open to Australian citizens, New Zealand citizens who hold a valid New Zealand passport, Australian permanent residents and those non-residents deemed by the Department of Immigration and Citizenship to be eligible to work in Australia only.
Where a candidate engages in secondary employment St Vincent’s Hospital Sydney (SVHS) will require a risk assessment be undertaken and take steps to mitigate the risks and SVHS reserves the right to decline the application for secondary employment.
Candidates should take this into consideration prior to applying. The risk assessment questionnaire is available Reference to your risk assessment, if applicable, should be make in your application.
About St Vincent’s Health Network Sydney:
St Vincent’s Health Network Sydney is made up of three public hospitals, St Vincent’s Hospital Sydney, Sacred Heart Health Service and St Joseph’s Hospital at Auburn. We are part of St Vincent’s Health Australia, the largest diversified health care organisation within Australia’s not for profit Catholic health care sector. As a Catholic health and aged care service provider, our mission is to bring God’s love to those in need through the healing ministry of Jesus, with a commitment to those who are poor and vulnerable.
We are committed to equal employment opportunity, ethical practices, and the principles of cultural diversity and promote a smoke free work environment. Appropriate criminal record and child protection checks are conducted for all successful candidates. Employment with St Vincent’s is subject to you having current immunity status that complies with the Occupational Assessment, Screening & Vaccination against Specified Infectious Diseases – NSW Health Policy Directive PD2020 _017. Appointment and ongoing employment will be subject to continued compliance with the policy directive.
St Vincent’s Health Network Sydney has an Australian Taxation Office (ATO) approved salary packaging scheme in place to increase the take home pay of staff. For information about the scheme go to
St Vincent’s Health Network Sydney is committed to reconciliation and encourages Aboriginal & Torres Strait Islander people to apply for all advertised positions.
When applying for the position, Applicants will be required to upload a recent Resume as well as a separate Cover Letter addressing the Selection Criteria for the position as outlined below. External applicants are to upload their Cover Letter alongside their Resume when reaching the ‘My Experience tab > Resume/CV> Upload. For Internal applicants, this document is to be uploaded further down the page alongside your Resume under Resume/CV> Upload.
1. Personal integrity and demonstrated commitment to the Philosophy, Mission and Values of Mary Aikenhead Ministries and St Vincent’s Health Australia.
2. Associate diploma in Pathology Techniques or equivalent
3. Demonstrate a high level of competency and experience in all aspects of Histology and Cytology preparation, ability to follow defined protocols and procedures with excellent communication skills and an eye for detail
4. Demonstrate an ability in the use and maintenance of equipment within Histology and Cytology.
5. Participate in daily bench rosters, weekend work and on-call roster, with demonstrated ability to work both autonomously and in a multidisciplinary team environment and work within flexible working hours
6. Demonstrate problem solving and decision making skills and experience with the use of a laboratory information system
7. Excellent time management skills and ability to manage multiple tasks and meet deadlines.
8. Demonstrate experience in dealing with clients in a customer service capacity and demonstrate knowledge of quality improvement, accreditation and OH&S requirements.
An example on how to address and upload selection criteria is provided in the attachment below in order to assist you with completing your application. Please ensure you review the instructions on how to upload this document as applicants that do not address the selection criteria may have their application automatically culled.
Click to apply.