**Job Description Summary**
The Product Specialist will technically sell and support the PAS, Microbiology and BD MAX portfolios. This role will assist in the sales and marketing effort through high-end technical selling, applications support and technical problem solving to end users.
1. Achievement of revenue and gross profit targets for territory.
2. Demonstrate exceptional technical knowledge of all Specimen Management and Microbiology products to support the sales effort.
3. Demonstrate exceptional capability to sell the Specimen Management, Microbiology and Molecular Biology portfolios.
4. Utilise Salesforce Effectiveness (SFE) and BD Way of Selling. This includes the
+ Use of Professional Selling Skills to plan and conduct sales calls
+ Utilising SPI method of Strategic Selling for the development and
+ execution of sales opportunities
+ Utilisation of selling tools (incl. iPad applications) to present value propositions to key buying influences
+ Compliance to SFDC guidelines including documentation of events and sales opportunities
5. Establish and maintain working relationships with each customer account in order to
monitor customer service and support, and potential sales opportunities.
6. Serve as the contact point for microbiology and PAS on applications and technical
related queries for customers.
7. Maintain up-to-date knowledge of prevailing pathology practices, scientific discoveries
and emerging competitor technology pertaining to their respective product portfolio.
8. Maintain comprehensive applications/technical knowledge of customer practices, to
provide technical consultation to the customer and offering a tailored solution to
accelerate the adoption of the BD offering.
9. Demonstrate the use and advantage of BD technology and instrumentation; conduct product demonstrations and evaluations with prospective customers.
10. Tailor, plan for and coordinate in-service programs to meet individual customer
requirements to support product use in the field. Engage internal and external
stakeholders to deliver on plan.
11. Contribute to the response to tenders by providing technical/customer information as
12. Spend 80% minimum in the field working with end users.
13. Work closely with designated service engineers to ensure prompt resolution of
14. Ensure activities of the BD portfolio are consistent with the BD core values and
comply with relevant Acts, legal demands and ethical standards.
15. Works closely with the corporate contacts related to technical support, QA/QC, and
R&D to address customer concerns, and determine corrective action and customer
**Knowledge and Experience**
+ Bachelor’s degree at a minimum in phlebotomy, pathology or microbiology, as well as a
+ minimum of 3-5 years’ experience in a clinical pathology setting
+ Thorough knowledge of diagnostics
+ Excellent communication and organization skills
+ Results oriented and highly motivated to succeed
+ Business Acumen and commercial awareness are desirable qualities
+ Must have a high level of relevant technical competence and clinical experience
+ Ability to deal with multiple priorities and short time lines from time to time.
+ Must be able to work with the Sales team to set and manage appropriate customer expectations
+ Demonstrated ability in matching and delivering the appropriate level of in-servicing /support with the value of a business opportunity
+ Demonstrated competence in computer literacy with knowledge of MS Office, Excel and Outlook
+ Project Management experience an asset
+ Problem solving ability and demonstrated examples of innovative solutions
+ Excellent oral and written communication skills required
+ Ability to interpret and maximize use of clinical data
+ Excellent presentation skills
**Driving for Results**
The personal drive to achieve results, and the ability to focus one’s attention on
accomplishing key objectives and positive outcomes for oneself, one’s team and the
business. It is a concern for working well or for surpassing a standard of excellence. The
standard may be one’s own past performance (striving for improvement), an objective
measure (results orientation), outperforming others (competitiveness); challenging goals one
has set, or even what anyone has ever done (innovation). It includes having the tenacity to
overcome obstacles and striving for quality, timeliness and efficiency in carrying out work. It
also involves effectively assessing and managing risk, and measuring results.
1. Achieves or exceeds performance expectations
2. Establishes own standards to maximize performance
3. Sets and works to meet challenging goals
4. Makes cost-benefit analyses
5. Drives the business forward
The ability to build and nurture solid, ongoing relationships to advance stakeholder
satisfaction and professional influence in the stakeholder’s organization. It is based on
becoming an indispensable partner and involves focusing one’s efforts on discovering and
meeting the needs of customers, and demonstrating a commitment to providing the highest
levels of value added, quality service.
1. Identifies and approaches key contacts
2. Targets relationship building based on customer insight
3. Organises involvement of key players
4. Establishes relationships for strategic advantage
5. Leverages success, contacts and relationships
Implies a desire to work closely with customers to understand and address their needs and
concerns and continually provide high levels of service so that overall customer satisfaction is achieved. Individuals with a strong customer service orientation make customers and their
needs a primary focus of their actions, and develop and sustain productive customer
1. Responds appropriately
2. Makes efforts to understand customer needs
3. Takes personal responsibility
4. Acts to add value and make things better for the customer
5. Addresses underlying customer needs
The ability to persuade, convince, influence or gain the commitment of others (individuals or
groups) to get them to accept a point of view, adopt a specific direction, commit to an idea,
come to consensus on mutually beneficial agreements, or take a course of action. The key is
understanding others and using that understanding to have a specific impact or effect on
1. Uses direct persuasion
2. Adapts actions or words to the audience
3. Uses customized influence strategies
4. Uses complex indirect influence strategies
Systematically acquires/gathers information (e.g., facts, ideas, and opinions) needed for
analysing situations, effective decision making, planning, relationship building, and the well-informed execution of responsibilities. At the lower levels, it is the ability to ask questions and
go to the source for information; at the higher levels, it is the ability to be more proactive in
conducting research and employing systems and processes to systematically maintain
1. Asks questions
3. Conducts research to collect relevant information – digs deeper
4. Uses systems to inform sales process
Puts into practice values and behaviours that contribute to group effectiveness and
performance, and the achievement of team objectives.
Listens effectively (active listening);
Constructively responds to point of view expressed by others;
Gives others the benefit of the doubt;
Provides support to those who need it;
Recognises the interest and achievements of others.
**Planning, Coordination and Execution**
The ability to plan and coordinate work, understand and effectively manage resources, and
execute individual and team activities in a way that maximizes productivity and ensures
alignment with priorities, and the achievement of goals and objectives and. At the highest
levels, individuals are able to achieve desired results on a consistent basis despite having to
deal with unpredictable or unexpected circumstances.
1. Plans own work activities
2. Manages multiple priorities
3. Coordinates activities involving others within one’s team
4. Plans and executes broad implementation efforts
5. Assigns priorities to complex, multiple competing products and plans effectively
The role demands an ability to impart technical and clinical information while maintaining
presence and vitality within the training and clinical environment.
The person who functions in this role must have tenacity and be highly self-motivated. This
person will also demonstrate self-learning and be abreast of current issues in the health care
As part of the Sales and Clinical team this person needs to have a good sense of the
commercial picture and the desire to be part of a team as well as a flexible approach to
satisfying customer needs.
**Primary Work Location**
AUS Sydney – North Ryde
BD is a leading global medical technology company that creates medical technology, devices and laboratory equipment for a variety of needs across the healthcare continuum. At BD, we are looking for candidates who possess passion, innovative solutions and a commitment to our one mission of improving access to groundbreaking medical and biotechnology services for people near and far, delivering state-of-the-art technology and cutting-edge research in the battle to fight and cure infectious diseases. With a global reach that extends across 50 countries worldwide, our network of professionals collaborates on effective measures to deliver enhanced patient quality such as lower health care delivery costs, improved health care and safety, and expanded health care for all. Join our company and see how you can become a part of one global mission to make a difference in human health.